We’ll be using Zoom as our prefered platform for this year’s conference.
All sessions will have real time auto-captions enabled. Learn more about Zoom accessibility: https://zoom.us/accessibility/faq
If you need accommodation to attend or participate in this conference, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All accommodation requests should be made no later than two weeks before the conference. We will attempt to fulfill requests made after this date, but cannot guarantee they will be met.
Before the conference
- Confirm that you are using the correct sign-on method for your UW-Madison account, and that you have the most recent version of the desktop client installed.
- Familiarize yourself with the attendee meeting controls. This tip sheet includes information on how to change your name or add pronouns once you have joined a meeting.
- Get connected to the conference chat using Webex. https://it.wisc.edu/learn/guides/getting-started-with-webex-app/
- Optional: Set-up your camera and microphone
- Audio: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362283-How-Do-I-Join-or-Test-My-Computer-Audio-
- Webcam Tips & Best Practices: https://esg.us/webcam-tips-best-practices/
- Optional: Customize your profile before the conference. These instructions explain how to add a profile picture to your Zoom account, set up a virtual background, change the skin tone for your in-meeting Reactions, and adjust the amount of videos you will see at one time. You can also access these controls during a meeting.
- Follow the zoom step-by-step guide on logging-in, checking for updates, breakout rooms and annotating.
Check for Outages: https://outages.doit.wisc.edu/
Internet Connection is unstable:
Close all programs on your computer except for the tools you are actively using
Turn off your camera
Move closer to your wireless internet router
Check to see if your Internet Service Provider has outages
Run an internet speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/
See more information about troubleshooting common tech issues: https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/99304.
Contact the DoIT Help Desk for technical assistance.
Audio or Video Issues: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362283-How-Do-I-Join-or-Test-My-Computer-Audio-
Finding the right controls: Check out the attendee meeting controls document
Ask for Help! Send the Host a direct message in the chat. In the participant panel look for the person labeled “host.”
- Mute microphones when not actively speaking.
- Mute video unless you’re in networking events or small group discussion.
- Stay seated and stay present. Give the presenter and their presentation your full attention.
- Be patient. Our moderators are managing a lot, so if they’re unable to read your question or comment immediately or unable to call on your raised hand, be patient.
- When the session ends, please leave the Zoom meeting.